[SciPy-Dev] planning 0.13.0 release

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 05:09:53 EDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 8:35 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I have tested the current 0.13.x branch on both rh5 and windows with the
>> MKL, and am happy to report it works perfectly.
>>
>> We may want to mention in the notes that we can't compile scipy with gcc
>> 4.1.* anymore (at least the rh5 version). Is it ok to make a PR to add
>> those to the release notes ?
>>

> Sure, makes sense to add that. What's the reason by the way? I don't
> remember we broke things on purpose.

No, and I don't know for sure it is a compiler bug: could be a bug on our
end.

Two problems with gcc 4.1* (on rh5, those are often heavily patched):

 - the entry construct in scipy.linalg.interpolative. As soon as you go
there, it crashes. Since that's the only entry construct used in scipy, I
suspect this is just not well supported in gfortran 4.1.
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/2939. We may want to avoid the entry
construct ? Don't know how realistic that is. I certainly would not
consider this a killer for the release, since it can be worked around.
 - gcc 4.4 is more aggressive in optimizing potentially aliased pointers:
not using the -fno-strict-aliasing is not an option anymore, it breaks
cython fused types (lambert is completely broken without it, for example).
I would argue the latter is a cython bug (I think we should be able to
compile scipy and numpy wo -fno-strict-aliasing).

cheers,
David