[SciPy-Dev] Licensing issue with AMOS library

Raziman T V razimantv at gmail.com
Fri May 3 15:50:27 EDT 2013

Hi,

The amos library for computing special functions is part of scipy.special.
If I understand correctly, routines in the library are being used to
compute Bessel function values for complex arguments.

However, a version of the algorithm is seen to have been published on TOMS (
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=214331). According to the ACM software
license, the software isn't really "free" since commercial use is not
allowed. How does this work with scipy?

Any clarification on the license status of the library will be greatly
appreciated since I plan to use it in a routine I intend to publish.

Thank you
Yours
Raziman