[SciPy-Dev] design decision needed on implementing Feeds in SPC?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 16:59:15 EDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Surya Kasturi <suryak at ieee.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 9:53 PM, Surya Kasturi <suryak at ieee.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> My next target in Scipy Central development is to implement RSS/Atom
>> Feeds. As feeds provide us lots of functionality (Feed Readers, Email
>> Subscriptions etc.. ) I decided to take this up.
>>
>> (what do you think of it?)

Sounds useful to have an RSS feed.

>> From the issue tracker on Github, I have also seen API as "need to be
>> done"

Note that while the issue tracker contains some useful ideas, it's
certainly not a list of stuff that has to be done. I'm probably not telling
you anything you didn't already know here, but just in case.

>> Here is the thing: If implemented nicely, Feeds can be used as API to a
>> great extent. -- in cheapest possible way (no extra server load, no need to
>> have OAuth, no need to have separate database tables, tracking calls etc.. )
>>
>> This is where I stuck on -- taking design decision.
>>
>> If we got to use Feeds as API too, then we need to define our own xml
>> elements, like "code", "snippet", "submission-link" etc.. (example).. I
>> guess, these things are not required if we don't want api to be handled via
>> feeds.
>>
>> So, what do you say? Any ideas on it?

I have to confess that I don't know enough about web development to have an
informed opinion on this. I agree that read-only API should be enough
though.

>> Note: considering my current time schedule, I will take this development,
>> a bit slow.

Given your time constraints, I do want to point out that while rss feeds
are nice, they're mostly orthogonal to the rest of the site. At some point
it will be better to get the new code up and running so people can start
using it, rather than to keep writing new code. Users also generate new
ideas (and bug reports). Just a thought.

Cheers,
Ralf