[SciPy-Dev] design decision needed on implementing Feeds in SPC?

Surya Kasturi suryak at ieee.org
Tue Mar 26 12:23:50 EDT 2013

Hi guys,

My next target in Scipy Central development is to implement RSS/Atom Feeds.
As feeds provide us lots of functionality (Feed Readers, Email
Subscriptions etc.. ) I decided to take this up.

(what do you think of it?)

>From the issue tracker on Github, I have also seen API as "need to be done"

Here is the thing: If implemented nicely, Feeds can be used as API to a
great extent. -- in cheapest possible way (no extra server load, no need to
have OAuth, no need to have separate database tables, tracking calls etc.. )

This is where I stuck on -- taking design decision.

If we got to use Feeds as API too, then we need to define our own xml
elements, like "code", "snippet", "submission-link" etc.. (example).. I
guess, these things are not required if we don't want api to be handled via
feeds.

So, what do you say? Any ideas on it?

Note: considering my current time schedule, I will take this development, a
bit slow.

Surya