[SciPy-Dev] regarding reputation system and commenting system of spc

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Mon Jun 24 18:21:42 EDT 2013

Hi,

25.06.2013 00:59, Surya Kasturi kirjoitti:
[clip]
> 1. Should we have down-vote? (we are not Q&A site)

Regarding scoring, I think this is necessary reading:

     http://www.evanmiller.org/how-not-to-sort-by-average-rating.html

We're all for taking a scientific approach, of course :)

So it seems there needs to be a measure of upvotes, and the amount of
total attention the package is getting.

Keeping track of upvotes vs. page views or download counts would also
probably do. The problem with page views and downloads is making sure
robots are filtered out from the data.

> 2. How to rate Users -- Any scale for providing points

I'm not sure voting users is at all necessary.

 > 3. Should we have points for comments? and should we have downvote?

For comments, I think upvotes are enough to determine positive vs. total
hits. There should also be an option to "flag" content for moderator
attention (meaning spam/etc).

--
Pauli Virtanen