[SciPy-Dev] disabling Accelerate on OS X

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Tue Jun 11 19:50:13 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 08:34:31AM +0200, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Given the issues we've been having with Accelerate on OS X 10.7 and 10.8,
> we plan to disable support for it completely in scipy (and numpy, will
> bring that up on numpy-discussion later) before the next release.
>
> Background:
> https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/2248
> https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/2547
>
> This will make compiling on OS X harder, but we can't leave functionality
> giving incorrect results (and ~70 test errors) hang around forever, so we
> have to do something. We'll do some testing and write up a guide for how to
> build against other BLAS/LAPACK implementations. Homebrew already supports
> OpenBLAS, so that's a good option for who doesn't want to go through
> compiling their own libraries.
>
> Ralf

Ralf,
   Has any attempt been made to open radar reports for these specific regressions
in recent Accelerate framework releases? Also are these failures limited to single
precision math? Lastly, were these failures introduced with Mac OS X 10.7? If so,
perhaps they are related to the fact that llvm's compiler-rt was being used to
build the Accelerate framework rather than the older libgcc derived math calls.
If a few standalone test cases could be crafted for these Accelerate regressions
detected by scipy, we might well be able to get those fixed for Mac OS X 10.9.
                  Jack