[SciPy-Dev] Rebase a branch that's in a pull request?

Warren Weckesser warren.weckesser at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 11:52:57 EDT 2013

While fixing some screw ups in a pull request, I rebased my feature branch
on the latest master.  Can I push this back to the pull request on github?
To test, I tried pushing it with the '-n' option, and got:

To https://WarrenWeckesser@github.com/WarrenWeckesser/scipy.git
 ! [rejected]        bug-stats-pareto-skewness -> bug-stats-pareto-skewness
(non-fast-forward)
error: failed to push some refs to '
https://WarrenWeckesser@github.com/WarrenWeckesser/scipy.git'
hint: Updates were rejected because the tip of your current branch is behind
hint: its remote counterpart. Merge the remote changes (e.g. 'git pull')
hint: before pushing again.
hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details.

Is this a case where using '-f' is appropriate?

More generally, is rebasing a feature branch in a pull request an
acceptable part of the workflow?  So far I've tried to avoid it, but I
think there have been quite a few PRs that have been rebased.

Warren