[SciPy-Dev] using sqlite for storing submissions

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Mon Jul 15 13:34:36 EDT 2013

15.07.2013 19:21, Andreas Hilboll kirjoitti:
[clip]
> Well, in your original mail, you said
>
> > I rather would like to use SQLite separately for storing submissions
 > > (I agree that using Postgre SQL for it is expensive on cloud)..

Well, here "Sqlite" should be interpreted as "SQL database".
It'll go through an ORM, so the backend can be Postgres or whatever.

> But also for file-system interactions with hg or git I wouldn't be
> worried with a low-traffic site. After all, gitorious, bitbucket,
> github, and the like are all based on DVCS which store their data in the
> filesystem. I doubt that github have their repositories in some SQL
> database (but might be mistaken here) ...

A problem may be the spawning of hg processes. It needs to load a whole
Python interpreter to memory.

However, if hg is only invoked on upload time, it probably doesn't
matter. I don't remember how it works currently.

I'd expect that direct file access is not a bottleneck. So before trying
to change this, I'd recommend measuring that this is actually a problem.

--
Pauli Virtanen