[SciPy-Dev] using sqlite for storing submissions

Andreas Hilboll lists at hilboll.de
Mon Jul 15 12:15:10 EDT 2013

On 15.07.2013 18:06, Surya Kasturi wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 5:46 PM, Andreas Hilboll <lists at hilboll.de
> <mailto:lists at hilboll.de>> wrote:
>
>     On 15.07.2013 17:39, Surya Kasturi wrote:
>     > Hi all,
>     >
>     > [idea]
>     >
>     > Right now we are using Hg for storing submissions inside static
>     root..Is
>     > not totally good on a cloud platform with limited resources..its not
>     > fast too (takes lot of server load)
>     >
>     > I rather would like to use SQLite separately for storing
>     submissions (I
>     > agree that using Postgre SQL for it is expensive on cloud)..
>     >
>     > What do you guys say?
>     >
>     >
>     > we dont have to provide all revisions as a Hg repo when downloading..
>     > people can employ some tools to compare if they want...
>
>     I disagree. Using SQLite in a production server environment causes
>     nothing but pain (at least to my experience). I would assume using some
>     DVCS for storing revisions should be the most natural way to do so, and
>     I would hope that there's some webapp libraries availble to show diff's
>     etc, though I don't have any direct experience with this.
>

> Showing diff is one idea I had too but we can figure out something
> within database too (I guess... dont know for sure).
> If we are not a busy site.. with very huge traffic and only using SQLite
> partly, it should work nicely
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/913067/sqlite-as-a-production-database-for-a-low-traffic-site

>From my experience, it doesn't, even on low-traffic sites. SQLite
doesn't handle concurrency, so every so often you get some "database
locked" errors. SQLite is good for development stage, but for production
sites, don't use it.

BTW, I don't see a problem using PostgreSQL as a database server.
Especially for low traffic sites, the performance should be fine.

>     Oh, and I personally don't see the need to have spyce running on a
>     "cloud platform" (depending on what you mean by that, of course). If you
>     have one single server, then you don't need all the
>     distributed-whatsoever and can concentrate on having everything on one
>     machine.
>
> I didnt get you

Never mind. Just a pun about this "cloud hype" terminology.

Cheers, Andreas.