[SciPy-Dev] GSoC -- numpy interactions with sparse matrices

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Tue Jul 2 16:25:44 EDT 2013

Comments below:

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 11:40 PM, Blake Griffith
<blake.a.griffith at gmail.com>wrote:

> This of course leave out:
> logaddexp
> logaddexp2
> ones_like
> arctan2
> hypot
> maximum
> minimum
> copysign
> nextafter
> ldexp
>
> (However I think it would be possible to override these using the existing
> functionality for overriding python overrides but this would be a bit
> hackish, and numpy might not like the changes.)
>
> None of these left over ufuncs seem to be the most widely used (I could be
> wrong). So going about this without adding an ufunc override attribute
> would still add a lot of functionality.

And that would be a bad assumption. While I don't use sparse matrices, I do
use some of those functions, particularly hypot, arctan2, maximum, and
minimum (why is ones_like() a ufunc?). If I had sparse matrices, I suspect
I certainly would be using these functions just like I do for regular numpy
arrays.

Cheers!
Ben Root