[SciPy-Dev] Expanding Scipy's KDE functionality

Pierre Barbier de Reuille pierre at barbierdereuille.net
Thu Jan 24 07:52:27 EST 2013

Hi,

I am not a developer of SciPy per se, but I am currently looking into these
KDE methods with bounded domains.

First, it looks like there are two parts with the algorithm:
 1 - the estimation of the bandwidth
 2 - the estimation of the density

It should be easy to separate them and use the estimation of the bandwidth
without the density estimation. This would be interesting as it seems that
the density needs to be estimated on a regular mesh. It also allows
comparison of the method with other estimators. For example, as stated in
the paper, the method is equivalent to a reflexion method with a gaussian
kernel. But the renormalisation method gives very similar results too,
without enforcing that f'(0) = 0 (i.e. first derivative is always 0 on the
boundaries).

I have a different concern though: is it normal that the density returned
by the method is not normalized? (i.e. the integral of the density is far
from being one).

Also, can you generalise the bandwidth calculation to unbounded domains? or
at least half-domains (i.e. [a; oo[ or ]-oo; a])? It seems that it all
depends on the domain being of finite size.

--
Barbier de Reuille Pierre