[SciPy-Dev] Electronics student with programming background - Like to participate in SciPy - Write some code and learn!

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 20:17:10 EST 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Surya Kasturi <suryak at ieee.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM, Surya Kasturi <suryak at ieee.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am Surya, studying Junior Year - Electronics & Communication
>> Engineering with Computer Science/ Programming background. I have looked
>> into SciPy and its really amazing!
>>
>> In this regard, I would like to explore the possibility of contributing
>> to this project by writing code and simultaneously learn the real
>> engineering stuff. My skills lie in Python, Django, C - and little Facebook
>> API, Cloud platforms (Openshift), Git.
>>
>> Also, I wrote some fun-stuff projects during week ends which you might
>> like to take a look.
>>
>> 1. Https://apps.facebook.com/pingmee -- Lets people ping their friends
>> using cartoons (Python, Django -- PIL)
>> 2. Https://apps.facebook.com/suryaphotography -- social reader framework
>> for my photography blog; Not yet finished (Python, Django -- Google Feed
>> API) - Got to finish if time permits
>> 3. Https://github.com/ksurya -- Github handle
>>
>> So, I am ready to take up any work and get along with it that involves
>> Python!
>>
>> Regarding my scientific skills, I studied Engineering Mathematics,
>> Digital Signal Processing (now studying), Signals & Systems etc. [ More on
>> signals ]
>>

>> Thanks for reading! waiting for your reply
>>
>> -- Surya
>>

> Guys can anyone let me know about this above message.. please

You  don't need permission to work on open source projects. You can make
pull requests, review others' pull requests, post to the list and
participate in discussions, or look over the bug reports on trac and see if
there are any you can fix. There is always a lack of developers so anyone
who does work is welcome. But the work is voluntary and a person's interest
is measured by their participation. You have made the first step by
posting, so don't be shy, but don't expect a formal induction into the
'club', just start doing things. If you need more specific pointers to
things to do, perhaps someone here can offer some suggestions.

Chuck