[SciPy-Dev] ipython sphinx directive in docstrings

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 14:35:12 EST 2013

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Alexander Arsenovic
<arsenovic at virginia.edu>wrote:

> i recently started using the ipython sphinx directive in my docs.  it
> seems to me that using this in the `Examples` section of the docstrings
> would be good  practice, as it prevents me from making error in the
> examples, and could  be used to insert plots.
>
> from what i see, the  scipy/numpy doc strings dont make use docs use
> this.  is there a reason why *not* to use the ipython directive in
> scipy/numpy-convention docstrings?

We already can and do include plots with the plot directive. Changing ">>>"
to "In [1]" is also not really needed. And the standard way to check for
errors in examples is with doctest, although we don't really care much
about that at the moment in numpy/scipy.

So there's not a large incentive to start using the ipython directive
AFAICT.

Ralf