[SciPy-Dev] Scipy Central Home Page .. finally

Surya Kasturi suryak at ieee.org
Fri Feb 15 08:04:01 EST 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 3:24 AM, Surya Kasturi <suryak at ieee.org> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Finally, I tried to make a Scipy Central design (home page) looking
> close to
> > scipy.org
> >
> > Please take a look and let me know how it is.. what could be changed and
> > all.
> >
> > http://ksurya.github.com/scipy-central-design/home.html
> >
> > Also: Few changes/ new features might be required like changing font
> size,
> > color, background color etc..
> >
> > Please do comment on them too!
> >
> > The rest of the pages would be looking very similar to this..
> >
> > (Note: this was the previous version
> http://ksurya.github.com/scipycentral/
> > .. Looks a lot like search engine and probably won't work for this site).
> >

> > Looking for your comments.. is this has any chance of merging into
> > main-stream (of course with some small changes)
>
> some quick impressions:
>
> I think the layout is pretty usable, I like the tabs for recently
> changed and most visited

I like them too

(maybe "most visited" could be replaced by "most popular" or "most
> downloaded" if we want to use download statistic instead of visits,
> which might include robots as Pauli mentioned
> most downloaded won't work for packages that have a link instead of
> code to download)
>
> We can change it. Not an issue!

> I have problems reading low contrast headers and tags (blue on blue or
> grey on grey)
>
> Well, I was actually not making huge changes in the "look".. This page is
more or less same like scipy.github.com (and few parts of scipy.org).
I used those sites as blue-print because.. and don't really want to make a
website that doesn't look similar to others!. I guess this blue is scipy's
identity!

> I don't like blue borders much anymore, they give it a bit of
> old-fashioned look.
>
> Josef
>

> > -- Surya

probably, we can even use background patterns (http://subtlepatterns.com/),
make the background little less dark.. what do you say? We could use brown
color as base for website.. as in (scipy.github.com).. but .. scipy.org is
totally blue. what do you say?