[SciPy-Dev] Savitzky-Golay and other smoothing filters

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 15:38:21 EST 2013

On 11/27/13 11:00 , scipy-dev-request at scipy.org wrote:
> It took a while, but eventually a Savitzky-Golay filter made it into
> scipy:https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/470

Smoothing filters continue to be of interest to scipy users. I wrote a
regularization-based smoothing method a few years ago:

https://github.com/jjstickel/scikit-datasmooth/
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/scikits.datasmooth/0.61

and suggested then that several smoothing methods be co-located inside
or outside scipy but did not get enough traction to make this happen.
Any further interest in this now? It seems that a subbranch of
scipy.signal would be logical (e.g. scipy.signal.smoothing). Or perhaps
a single function interface to several smoothing methods (spline, S-G,
wavelet, regularization, others).

I have limited time, but I would be willing to work on a pull request or
such with some coaching (it would be my first).

Thanks,
Jonathan