[SciPy-Dev] Discussion on a new interface for multidimensional quadrature

Nathan Woods charlesnwoods at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 15:49:13 EDT 2013

Right, that's what I thought, too. The thing is that dbl- and tplquad DON'T do that. If you carefully at the calling sequence for tplquad,
scipy.integrate.tplquad(func, a, b, gfun, hfun, qfun, rfun, args=(), epsabs=1.49e-08, epsrel=1.49e-08)[source]¶

Return the triple integral of func(z, y, x) from x=a..b, y=gfun(x)..hfun(x), and z=qfun(x,y)..rfun(x,y)

The only way that the underlying quad routine can accept qfun(x,y) and rfun(x,y) as limits is if they are evaluated to be constants. That is, integration over z must be the innermost loop of integration, with fund(z,y,z), qfun(x,y), and rfun(x,y) receiving (x,y) passed in as arguments from the outer loops.

I agree that the changes I just put in are kind of ridiculous, but (as far as I can tell) they exactly duplicate what is done in dbl- and tplquad.

If we really want to put in some kind of integration order, then that's also not too hard, though a bit more than just reversing the lists. It's just something that I don't see a real, compelling reason to do.