[SciPy-Dev] Discussion on a new interface for multidimensional quadrature

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 16:24:03 EDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Nathan Woods <charlesnwoods at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm copying the most relevant parts over from a discussion on GitHub,
> having to do with a new n-dimensional integration tool. The discussion is
> whether or not to make nquad's new interface consistent with dbl-and
> tplquad, even though their precedent is arguably more confusing to users.
>
> nquad is a recursively defined wrapper to scipy.integrate.quad that allows
> for n-dimensional integration with almost the entire list of arguments
> allowed by quad. It is therefore more general than either dbl- or tplquad,
> and encompasses their use cases, while allowing the user greater control
> over the integration. The interface is given: nquad( f(x0,x1,…xn,t0,…tm)
> ,[[x0_lo,x0_hi],…[xn_lo,xn_hi]],[t0,…tm],[opts0,…optsn]).
> The ranges of integration are given in the same order as the arguments in
> the function to be integrated. This ordering is consistent with both Matlab
> and Octave, and it is similar to what is encountered in other SciPy
> packages such as fft. It is also what makes sense to new users.
>
> dbl- and tplquad, however, reverse the order of arguments in f. From the
> documentation for tplquad:
>
> Return the triple integral of func(z, y, x) from x=a..b,
> y=gfun(x)..hfun(x), and z=qfun(x,y)..rfun(x,y)
>
> This is confusing, and contrary to common practice.
>
> It is proposed that nquad's calling sequence be left as is, and that the
> use of dbl- and tplquad be deprecated in some future version of SciPy, and
> that nquad be recommended for multidimensional integration in new code.
> dbl- and tplquad would of course be retained, though not recommended, in
> order to avoid breaking existing code.
>
> Wow, that came out all legalistic. Anyway, what do you all think about
> this change? I have a horse in the race (I wrote most of nquad), but I
> really think that maintaining the backwards style from dbl- and tplquad and
> enshrining it in new code is a bad idea. This is a perfect time to get away
> from it, if that's what we want to do.

My first instinct was that nquad should match what's already there in
scipy.integrate, but I've changed my mind. I always have to look at the
dblquad/tplquad documentation to get it right, so those functions don't
have a good API imho. Therefore just making nquad do the logical thing
(i.e. ``f(x, y ,z)``) makes sense to me.

Let's not use the word "deprecate" for dblquad/tplquad, since they
shouldn't be removed. Instead just recommend `nquad` as the function to use
in the docs.

Any other opinions?

Ralf

Good question. I think this needs some discussion on the scipy-dev list,