[SciPy-Dev] SciPy Central in GSoC 2013

Surya Kasturi suryak at ieee.org
Sat Apr 27 11:10:58 EDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Andreas Hilboll <lists at hilboll.de> wrote:

> > The proposal (draft) is
> > here http://surya-gsoc2013.blogspot.in/2013/04/the-proposal.html
> > It would be great to hear some comments, suggestions etc.
>
> Just as a side note: Each item should have module versions in the
> metadata, as in "works with numpy1.6, scipy0.10, pandas0.9". Also, it
> should be possible tó flag items as "doesn't work" or "doesn't work with
> current (which?) modules".(This might be a good example for where
> hierarchical tags would be useful).
>
> - Andreas.

This helps a lot for users.. the below are the couple of ideas I got in mind

1. users should be strictly directed to add these details in the snippet
documentation (not all might do)
2. we need to detect the modules used in the snippets, ask them to provide
versions for them during submission
3. (instead of 2): we can ask them to attach "requirements.txt". this
should be quite good and simple way to handle things..

*Detecting the modules* in the snippets, adding them as tags for improving
search is one of the possible feature I mentioned in proposal (at the
bottom of the page)