[SciPy-Dev] issues trac migration review

Skipper Seabold jsseabold at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 08:13:32 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
> 22.04.2013 22:42, Skipper Seabold kirjoitti:
> [clip]
>> As for new data submissions...well...open issue I guess. Github
>> accepts image attachments and posts them to their server on amazon. I
>> assume this functionality will be extended at some point. They've been
>> talking about it for 4 years now. We could instruct people to use
>> e-mail attachments and post them to the list then link to the message
>> in the issue?
>
> E-mail has the problem that it spams N+1 people who are not interested
> in the potentially big data file, plus it's a hassle to subscribe to the
> list so that you can post.
>
> It probably needs to be something simple, otherwise what happens is
> dropbox/mediafire/ad-supported-upload-service-of-your-choice which do
> not necessarily have a very long lifetimes.
>
> A third-party web app can use Github for authentication:
> http://developer.github.com/v3/oauth/
> But nobody seems to have written so far (or at least I can't find)
> something that does this.

Might this be something we could use scipy-central for? I don't know
anything about that server setup / file attachment situation. Just an
idea. Still not zero effort.

We might also consider setting up using projects.scipy.org to allow
scp of files, though I wouldn't want to volunteer anyone to be the ssh
key gatekeeper (I guess it should be keymaster) and you still have to
copy the link over.

Skipper