[SciPy-Dev] GSOC - improvements to the .sparse package advice

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Sun Apr 14 07:19:31 EDT 2013

10.04.2013 11:10, Pauli Virtanen kirjoitti:
> Izzy Cecil <lorr.cecil <at> gmail.com> writes:
> [clip]
>> I was wondering who would be appropriate to discus this project with,
>> and if there were specific things I could do now to familiarize myself
>> with the codebase. Any smaller bugs that could be fixed, or features
>> that could be added to the library? Or should I consider a different
>> project all together (perhaps Pythonic dtypes)? In the meantime, I'll
>> hunt around trac, and mess with what I can, but any and all advice
>> would be much appreciated!
>
> There's sort of a TODO list here, specified in terms of unit tests:
>
> https://github.com/scipy/scipy/blob/master/scipy/sparse/tests/test_base.py#L
> 1557
[clip]

And some more sparse ideas (requested by users):

http://stackoverflow.com/search?tab=newest&q=[scipy]%20sparse

- Implement max(axis=someaxis), mean(axis=someaxis), std(axis=someaxis),
  and other similar methods

- Represent the LU factorization obtained via SuperLU as actual sparse
  matrices rather than in SuperLU's internal format.

- Help with getting the support for 64-bit indices in, required for
  very large sparse matrices (this work is mostly done, see
  https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/442, but needs more testing
  and review)

- Boolean operations

- Fix the callback function situation with the scipy.sparse.linalg
  iterative solvers (different functions have different signatures)

And probably many more.

I think that even if there are two people working on improving the
situation, there will be well enough to do for a GSoC.

--
Pauli Virtanen