[SciPy-Dev] Python Scipy Block Diagram Editor with ACG

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 10:01:38 EST 2012

Charles R Harris wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Cera, Tim <tim at cerazone.net> wrote:
>

>> As is, the block diagram editing is done in libre office draw and you have
>>> to manually type in the functions and commands, I have
>>> attached an example exported to pdf.
>>

>> Would anyone be willing to help with this, I have no experience developing
>>> with the open source community.
>>>

>> I won't be able to help, except to give some information.  Found this
>> http://wiki.python.org/moin/FlowBasedProgramming a long time ago which
>> might be useful.  Some of the links are broken now, and some of the others
>> are really old, but something there might be helpful.
>>
>> In general, flow based programming hasn't caught on.   I think partially
>> because of reasons described in the old saying, "To hell with tradition, we
>> are going to do it like we always did!"
>>

> Simulink is pretty widely used, especially for modelling and rapid
> development of control software.  Equipment vendors provide blocks for
> their devices, gyroscopes and such, that can be used for the models and
> then Matlab will generate control code to run on the targeted system.
> Simulink itself is basically a way of setting up a big system of DEs, but
> what really makes it go are the vendor blocks and code generation.
>
> Chuck

So why would vlsi guys use text (e.g., verilog) to design a cpu, instead of
schematics?

1. IMO, graphical representations work nicely for low-complexity, but not
productive for highly complex systems

2. It is less productive to manipulate a graphical  representation

3. text can be manipulated by all your favorite tools, more open ecosystem, no
lockin, proprietary formats