[SciPy-Dev] Review request: interp2d with partial redgrid backend

John Travers jtravs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 03:49:06 EST 2012

On 12/11/12 20:27, Pauli Virtanen wrote:
> 12.11.2012 01:54, John Travers kirjoitti:
> [clip]
>> Following this I hope to improve the docs a little and find a better
>> solution to the scattered data problem rather than using surfit (which
>> is great for smoothing BTW).
>
> Currently, we have the Delaunay tesselation based interpolation routines
> (LinearNDInterpolation et al.) and RBF, in addition to Fitpack's splines.
>
> However, the tesselation doesn't scale very well to large datasets in
> high dimensions as the number of simplices explodes, and our RBF
> implementation would need some fine tuning (i.e. the automatic parameter
> choices it makes are not optimal). Fitpack's problem are well known. So
> there certainly would be some room for improvement here.

OK, that is interesting, I was looking at using the NDInterpolation
routines for this.

I think the rectangular grid is the most common use case of interp2d, so
if we can get that working much better it is a good start. Irregular
data is the sort of problem where it should be expected to try a few of
the different routines available to get something which works well.

Cheers,