[SciPy-Dev] cephes_smirnov never returns on mips/sparc/...

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 23:06:46 EDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Yaroslav Halchenko
<lists at onerussian.com> wrote:

>> > sensible? or starting values?
>
> if starting values are the most sensible -- then yeap -- them ;)
> if I ask to 'fit' something, getting some fit is better than getting no
> fit (as NaNs in output suggest)

getting the starting values back doesn't mean that you have "some" fit.

If my brief playing with it today is correct, then the starting values
don't make sense, for example you have points outside of the support
of the distribution with estimated parameters (if you have negative
values in the sample)
NaN would be better, then at least you know it doesn't make sense.

If you just want some local maximum, then setting
start_value/_fitstart for loc and scale corresponding to the actual
support of the sample would help. I have no idea about good starting
values for the shape parameter (n is sample size for kstest)

But what's the point in fitting ksone?

Josef