[SciPy-Dev] cephes_smirnov never returns on mips/sparc/...

Yaroslav Halchenko lists at onerussian.com
Fri Mar 30 16:37:58 EDT 2012

ok -- here is the reason:

(gdb) print e
$27 = nan(0x8000000000000)
(gdb) print ((double) n * (1.0 - e))
$26 = nan(0x100000001)
(gdb) print (floor ((double) n * (1.0 - e)))
$25 = 2146435073

and then it goes into the loop with

(gdb) print nn
$32 = 2147483647

so it might eventually return (didn't wait long enough) but that would
take a while ;)

what confuses ignorant me is why floor on sparc

* why it doesn't handle nan correctly as manpage says:

       If x is integral, +0, -0, NaN, or an infinity, x itself is returned.

* why it doesn't return double for double as manpage (looking at x86 box
but that should remain valid I guess) says:

       double floor(double x);
       float floorf(float x);
       long double floorl(long double x);

but returns float :

(gdb) print sizeof(floor ((double) n * (1.0 - e)))
$1 = 4

* and I guess I need to learn about different types of nans

(gdb) print e
$27 = nan(0x8000000000000)
(gdb) print sizeof(e)
$28 = 8