[SciPy-Dev] Python bindings for KLU

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon Mar 19 13:10:50 EDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Richard Lincoln <r.w.lincoln at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you give me (r.w.lincoln) commit rights I'll be happy to push my work
> to a branch of scikits.sparse.

You should have commit rights now.

> Otherwise, it'll be available on my GitHub page:
>
> http://github.com/rwl

I've considered moving the scikit to github, since that seems to be
where everyone else has gone... mostly I haven't bothered because
scikits.sparse hasn't had my attention. So if you have an opinion on
this, speak up :-).

> Should these wrappers be kept as separate projects? One wouldn't want to
> have to install UMFPACK and KLU just to compile the wrappers for
> CHOLMOD. If so, is there any common code that ought to be shared between
> them?

I don't have a strong opinion on this -- I just install suitesparse as
a unit from my package manager, so having them all together is the
easiest thing for me. And I'm very grateful that I don't have to do
the analogue for scipy, installing scipy-blas, scipy-lapack,
scipy-fftpack, scipy-sparse etc. as separate packages :-). But other
systems seem to require much more effort to get their build
environments set up, so perhaps there are people who would find some
sort of separation or partial install feature useful; I just don't
know.

-- Nathaniel