[SciPy-Dev] scipy.sparse and OpenMP

Maximilian Nickel nickel at dbs.ifi.lmu.de
Mon Mar 5 05:15:12 EST 2012

Hi everyone,
I've been working with fairly large sparse matrices on a
multiprocessor system lately and noticed that scipy.sparse is
single-threaded. Since I needed faster computations, I've quickly
added some OpenMP #pragma directives in scipy/sparse/sparsetools to
the functions that I've been using in order to enable multithreading,
what worked out nicely. I wondered if you would be interested in a
more complete OpenMP-enabled version of scipy.sparse.setuptools. I've
attached the patch of the quick-and-dirty changes that I made so far
to this mail, to give you an idea.

Best regards
Max