[SciPy-Dev] binned statistics

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 4 15:46:17 EST 2012

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 6:27 AM, Jacob VanderPlas <
vanderplas at astro.washington.edu> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I recently opened a PR at https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/173.
> This implements some binned statistics: similar to a histogram, except
> rather than counting the points within each bin, it computes some
> statistic (e.g. mean, median, etc.) of values within the bin.

That could be useful.

> This is a tool I've found useful in representing multi-dimensional data,
> and I think it may be a useful feature to include in scipy, though
> matplotlib might be a better fit.  Any comments would be appreciated!

Fits well in scipy.stats I'd think, and not really in Matplotlib. My
understanding is that the MPL functions that do some computation (hist,
acorr) are there for historical reasons or because MPL doesn't want to have
SciPy as a dependency.

Ralf