[SciPy-Dev] Adding new wrappers (dassl, daspk version 2, cvode version 2.7.0) to scipy.integrate?

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Tue Jun 19 15:58:30 EDT 2012

Hi,

19.06.2012 18:32, Geoff Oxberry kirjoitti:
> I posted a feature request ticket (#1678,
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1678) about this on the SciPy
> Dev Wiki, and Ralf Gommers suggested that I follow up on the scipy-dev
mailing list.

> To recap the gist of my ticket, there are problems for which DVODE
> (currently wrapped in scipy.integrate.ode) are inadequate, such as
> in computational combustion. It would be helpful to researchers in
> combustion to wrap updated numerical integration libraries (such as
> DASSL, DASPK, and CVODE); DAE solver wrappers would also be very helpful
> (technically, DASSL and DASPK are DAE solvers, but one thing at a time
here).

Adding more ODE solver engines to scipy.integrate would certainly be
useful, and doing it should be OK within the scipy.integrate.ode API.

DAE solvers, I think, also fall within the scope for Scipy, and could be
added. These I'd like however to see added with a cleaner API than what
we currently have --- i.e. not bolted onto odeint/ode.  At the same
time, it could be useful to rewrite the ODE stuff to use a similar API
design, as the present situation with duplicated but different
`ode/odeint` and some issues with `ode` is not so desirable.

    ***

The design in scikits.odes looks good. If the work there is mature
enough, and there are no license issues, it might indeed be useful to
concentrate these things under `scipy.integrate`.

Would the people involved with scikits.odes like to move part of their
development under scipy.integrate? The main issue is maybe the slower
release cycle of Scipy and the more frozen API?

--
Pauli Virtanen