[SciPy-Dev] Cython as build dependency, file/dll size and current issues

Jacob VanderPlas vanderplas at astro.washington.edu
Thu Jul 5 15:19:20 EDT 2012

On 07/05/12 11:57, Matthew Brett wrote:
> Hi,
[snip]
> How about making Cython 0.17 a developer build-time dependency?
>
> Meanwhile, making 'python setup.py sdist' dump the c files into the
> source distribution?  Maybe with a nightly development snapshot pushed
> up to sourceforge or similar?
>
> That's what we are doing for dipy (the c files into the sdist):
>
> https://github.com/nipy/dipy/blob/master/setup.py#L95
> https://github.com/nipy/dipy/blob/master/cythexts.py
>
> although a Bento way of doing that would probably be easier to maintain,
I think this is the best compromise, if we can make it work.  The
flexibility of fused types is a major plus.  Adding a general user-end
dependency on cython would be a mistake, IMHO (scipy can be difficult
enough to build as it is).  This would also allow us to depend on
bleeding-edge cython versions for development builds, and hopefully fix
some of the by-hand patching issues we've seen in the past.
    Jake