[SciPy-Dev] mwavepy scikit

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 21 07:11:22 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 1:32 AM, alex arsenovic <aia8v at virginia.edu> wrote:

> hello, my name is alex arsenovic. i am the author of the python module
> mwavepy, which is a package for RF/microwave engineering.
>
> homepage: http://code.google.com/p/mwavepy/
> docs: http://packages.python.org/mwavepy/#
>
> it is my understanding that scipy doesnt currently have the
> functionality provided by mwavepy, and it seems as though it would be a
> valuable module to have,  similar to the rf-toolbox in matlab.
>
> i was entertaining the idea of making a sci-kit for mwavepy, and was
> curious about the scipy-dev community's opinion on this. does a module
> like this belong as a sci-kit? if so, i have numerous questions as to
> what are the next steps.

Hi Alex, making your project a scikit seems like a good idea. I
actually tried to use mwavepy about two years ago for some basic matching
network design. Back then I ran into a number of issues and in the end gave
up, but it looks like your project came a long way since then. Whether or
not you make it a scikit, definitely move to github though! That would have
made the difference for me in submitting a few patches instead of just
hacking around the first issues I encountered.

In the end I went back to using the free Dellsperger program (
http://fritz.dellsperger.net/) plus LTSpice. The former has a nice GUI and
some plotting options like stability and VSWR contours that are quite
handy, so if you're taking feature requests consider this one:)

Cheers,
Ralf