[SciPy-Dev] usage of inspect.getargspec ?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 18:16:35 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
> How about we undo this change, agree not to use things like the inspect
> module unless absolutely necessary

Data point from someone who probably has more experience than most
with inspect, given that ipython's ?/?? machinery is effectively a
huge, extremely aggressive use of inspect: inspect is *very* fragile.
In ipython, most of our use of it is protected by try/excepts
everywhere, since we can simply not show any information we can't
retrieve.  But using inspect for non-optional features at the core of
a library is probably a bit of high-wire-without-a-net act.

Cheers,