[SciPy-Dev] usage of inspect.getargspec ?

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 13:48:27 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 10:42 AM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Gael Varoquaux
> <gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
>>
>>> My main problem with this view is that I don't think that whether you
>>> need a Hessian or not is the reasonable line to draw between "simple
>>> things" and "not so simple things". The problem with using
>>> getargspec() is that it is unreliable. It doesn't work for many
>>> reasonable inputs (like say a wrapper function that wraps the real
>>> function with one that takes *args,**kwds or extension functions or
>>> bound methods or objects with __call__). Knowing that you have one of
>>> these cases requires some rather deep experience with Python.
>
> Just to illustrate the problem: a question with inspect by a stackoverflow user
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7615733/too-many-arguments-used-by-python-scipy-optimize-curve-fit

and, I'm sorry if I sound grumpy at times.

I'm spending a large amount of time on code maintenance, and this
change promises several days of bug hunting, finding work-arounds and
answering questions on stack overflow for no clear benefits that I can
see, so I'd rather announce my opinion in advance.

Josef