[SciPy-Dev] SciPy Goal

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 22:46:03 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Travis Oliphant <travis at continuum.io> wrote:

> It seems like scipy stats has received quite a bit of attention.   There is always more to do, of course, but I'm not sure what specifically you think is missing or needs work.

Well, I recently needed to do some simple linear modeling, and the
stats glm docstring isn't very encouraging:

Docstring:
Calculates a linear model fit ...
anova/ancova/lin-regress/t-test/etc. Taken from:

Peterson et al. Statistical limitations in functional neuroimaging
I. Non-inferential methods and statistical models.  Phil Trans Royal Soc
Lond B 354: 1239-1260.

Returns
-------
statistic, p-value ???

### END of docstring

I turned to statsmodels, which had great examples and it was very easy
to use (for an ignoramus on the matter like myself).

But perhaps that happens to be an isolated point.  I have to admit,
I've just been using the pandas/statsmodels/sklearn combo directly.
Part of that has to do also with the nice, long-form examples
available for them, something which I think we still lack in
numpy/scipy but where some of the new focused projects have done a
great job (the matplotlib gallery blazed that trail, and others have
followed with excellent results).

Cheers,