[SciPy-Dev] Proposal for Scikit-Signal - a SciPy toolbox for signal processing

Warren Weckesser warren.weckesser at enthought.com
Tue Jan 3 03:14:59 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 1:14 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Jaidev Deshpande
> <deshpande.jaidev at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I gave a talk at SciPy India 2011 about a Python implementation of the
> > Hilbert-Huang Transform that I was working on. The HHT is a method
> > used as an alternative to Fourier and Wavelet analyses of nonlinear
> > and nonstationary data. Following the talk Gael Varoquaux said that
> > there's room for a separate scikit for signal processing. He also gave
> > a lightning talk about bootstrapping a SciPy community project soon
> > after.
> >
> > So with this list let us start working out what the project should be
> like.
> >
> > For noobs like me, Gael's talk was quite a useful guide. Here's the
> > link to a gist he made about it - https://gist.github.com/1433151
> >
> > Here's the link to my SciPy talk:
> >
> http://urtalk.kpoint.in/kapsule/gcc-57b6c86b-2f12-4244-950c-a34360a2cc1f/view/search/tag%3Ascipy
> >
> > I personally am researching nonlinear and nonstationary signal
> > processing, I'd love to know what others can bring to this project.
> > Also, let's talk about the limitations of the current signal
> > processing tools available in SciPy and other scikits. I think there's
> > a lot of documentation to be worked out, and there is also a lack of
> > physically meaningful examples in the documentation.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > PS: I'm ccing a few people who might already be on the scipy-dev list.
> > Sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> Jaidev,
>
> at this point, I think we should just start with actual code. Could
> you register a scikit-signal organization on github ? I could then
> start populating a project skeleton, and then everyone can start
> adding actual code

This sounds like a great idea.

Given that the 'learn', 'image' and 'statsmodels' projects have dropped (or
will soon drop) the 'scikits' namespace, should the 'signal' project not
bother using the 'scikits' namespace?  Maybe you've already thought about
this, but if not, it is something to consider.

Warren