[SciPy-Dev] BSP interface in the SciPy.

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Tue Feb 14 13:03:11 EST 2012

On 14.02.2012 17:58, Robert Kern wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 16:53, Pierre Haessig<pierre.haessig at crans.org>  wrote:
>> Le 14/02/2012 17:05, Sturla Molden a écrit :
>>> AFAIK, BSP is a coding style, not a particular API.
>> Hi Sturla,
>> I'm not so familiar with parallel processing.
>> Do you have a short reference on this BSP style ?

You probably got the links.

Short answer:

It is a way to avoid deadlocks and livelocks in parallel computing.
Computation and ipc are separated in discrete blocks with barrier synch
in between.

ipc -> barrier -> compute -> barrier -> ipc -> ...

But it can often be difficult to fit a problem into a BSP paradigm, and
sometimes it yields an inefficient program (the CPUs can spend a
significant amount of time idle on the barriers).

Sturla