[SciPy-Dev] My Intro

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 20 15:34:36 EDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM, Patrick "Kai" Baker <eigenspaces at gmail.com
> wrote:

> That's excellent. Debugging sounds like a good start.

Great.

> I know C/C++ the most since they're my first languages. But I also know
> Python and would like to gain more working knowledge of it. As far as
> mathematics, I'm most familiar with analysis: calculus, differential
> equations, special functions, etc.

Special functions (scipy.special) are mostly written in C, its tests are in
Python of course. Pauli can perhaps give you more pointers for special, but
here's already a ticket with an issue that needs investigating (it came up
again today on scipy-user): http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1453

scipy.integrate may also fit with your analysis background. Possible ticket
to start: http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1572

Here's one that needs investigation in interpolate:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1642

The above modules have more issues that require digging into compiled code
that issues with pure Python code I'd say. For pure Python code, stats may
be a good module:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1183
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1493
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/913

The above are all bugs. There are also many tickets with enhancement
suggestions, looking at some of those could be interesting too.

Cheers,
Ralf