[SciPy-Dev] [Numpy-discussion] life expectancy of scipy.stats nan statistics

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 11 11:42:09 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 3:22 AM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 10:19 PM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'm just looking at http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1200
>> Cringe, I wrote that poor code...
>> >
>> > I agree with Ralf that the bias keyword should be changed to ddof as
>> > in the numpy functions. For functions in scipy.stats, and statistics
>> > in general, I prefer the usual axis=0 default.
>>
>> I agree for the keyword but not the axis since a user should expect
>> the same default behavior as in numpy for the 'same' function.
>>
>> In this case I agree with Bruce, because then it'll be easy to switch to a
> future numpy nanstd implementation.
>

>> > However, I think these functions, like scipy.stats.nanstd, should be
>> > replaced by corresponding numpy functions, which might happen
>> > relatively soon. But how soon?
>>
>> Anyhow, I like Mark's NA stuff for the little that I have done with it
>> and there still is the masked stuff. But it is still going to be a
>> while for it to be mainstream yet a really good numpy 2.0 feature. If
>> the 'skipna' could be more general then these separate na handling
>> functions would be unnecessary.
>>

>> > Is it worth deprecating bias in scipy 0.10, and then deprecate again
>> > for removal in 0.11 or 0.12?
>> >
>> > Josef
>>
>> +1
>>
>> OK, I'll do this then.
>
> Or not. I've changed my mind after trying to do make this change. It's not
possible to do this in a reasonable way without breaking people's code. Plus
they'd have to explicitly test for the scipy version if they want to support
0.9 and 0.10 from their code. Let's just wait till this function appears in
numpy, and then completely deprecate the scipy function.

Ralf