[SciPy-Dev] scipy.sparse spdiags/dia_matrix additional calling mode

Tony Stillfjord tony at maths.lth.se
Thu Oct 6 09:10:41 EDT 2011

At first I thought that example would fail since the row(s) did not have
length 4,
but then I realised that there are actually no checks at all on the size of
the
diagonals, just that the number of them correspond to the number of offsets
and that there are no duplicates...

I tried it in MATLAB too just to check if this behaviour really is that
strange.
There, the equivalent expression spdiags([[1,2,3]'], 1, 4, 4) gives an index
error
(also strange kind of error). With the offset -1 it works fine, though, and
also
if I add elements to the diagonal so that it has length 4. So somewhat
strange,
but the scipy implementation does not seem to be fully equivalent to the
MATLAB
one.

Still, the change I suggested would probably have to raise an exception if
the
list has diagonals of the wrong length, and this would still break more
'normal'
constructions like my original example,

spdiags([ones(4), -2*ones(4), ones(4)], (-1,0,1), 4, 4),

so I agree that this shouldn't be done.

I'm more in favour of a keyword flag rather than a new function. spdiags
feels
like the accepted name for what is to be done, and then how to do it more
specifically should be an option within this framework (function). Maybe
'padding = False/True' or 'exact_length = False/True'?

Regards,
Tony Stillfjord