[SciPy-Dev] data rankings

Warren Weckesser warren.weckesser at enthought.com
Fri Nov 18 17:37:29 EST 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 1:37 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Moritz Emanuel Beber
> <moritz.beber at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I recently had to rank some data and I came across the
> > scipy.stats.rankdata function. It didn't quite do what I wanted (using
> > the terminology of this wikipedia page
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranking it performs 'fractional' ranking)
> > so I went ahead and wrote functions for the other types of rankings.
>
> rankdata is mostly a support function for the rank based tests, see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranking#Ranking_in_statistics

rankdata is also pretty slow.  I have a cythonized version working (along
with tiecorrection), but it is not quite ready for a pull request.

If there is interest, I don't see any reason to not include more ranking
functions in scipy.  Moritz, what are the use-cases for the ranking that
you used?

Warren