[SciPy-Dev] Follow revision history back past 2007

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Fri Mar 11 04:46:21 EST 2011

Thu, 10 Mar 2011 21:55:02 -0600, Warren Weckesser wrote:
[clip]
> Using the "history" button on github, the history of files or modules
> seems to end with a renaming that took place in 2007.  How do I see
> older commits?

Interesting, this should work:

	git log -M -C filename

but apparently also that fails to follow the history of an individual
file beyond 2007. However,

	git show -M -C 2224a4b9f2

shows that the rename commit is correctly detected. Similarly, this works:

	git blame -M -C filename

and it correctly shows where each line came from, also pre-2007.

    ***

It seems to me that this is a logic problem in how renames are displayed
in git-log. The rename detection algorithm itself seems to work (as
evidenced by git-blame), but something is wrong with how git-log displays
the results.

This might be worth raising on the Git mailing list.

Our repository data does not need to be changed -- it's correct. This is
an issue that can be only fixed in Git itself.

	Pauli