[SciPy-Dev] Numpy and Scipy build with bento

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Sat Jun 18 10:15:37 EDT 2011

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 18:31:28 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
[clip]
> It may be difficult because I would need for bento to integrate within
> waf, whereas the opposite is simpler. Also, while numpy/scipy needs
> customization, most python packages do not, and could get away with no
> bscript file at all. In those cases, it should be possible to use waf to
> build extensions without writing a single line of waf-specific code.

It would seem to me that in those simple cases, you could get away with
a top-level wscript

	from bento.bentowaf import magick
	magick(globals())

But I didn't try implementing this, so it may be more difficult this way.

[clip]
> What advantages would you see in inverting the control ?

This would remove one level from the build system. The users would
not need to learn how bscripts work, if they already are familiar
with waf, or whatever other build system they are using.

	Pauli