[SciPy-Dev] prepending underscores to private module names

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 3 15:57:59 EDT 2011

Hi,

A while ago we discussed making a clear distinction between public and
private modules by using underscores consistently, see
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.devel/14936.

I've done this for a few modules now, see
https://github.com/rgommers/scipy/tree/underscores. Most files could simply
be underscored, some other would conflict with extension modules so I also
had to append _py to the name. Also I added a file doc/source/api.rst that
states which modules are public (up for discussion of course).

With google code search I checked how common it is to import from modules
that are supposed to be private, for example "from scipy.optimize.optimize
import fmin". It's not very common but does happen, so deprecation warnings
should be put in.

Before going further I'd like to check that this looks okay to people. What
do you think?

Cheers,
Ralf
<https://github.com/rgommers/scipy/tree/underscores>