[SciPy-Dev] [Scikit-learn-general] Renaming scikits.learn

Mathieu Blondel mathieu at mblondel.org
Wed Jul 20 11:50:16 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Alexandre Gramfort
<alexandre.gramfort at inria.fr> wrote:

> even I was not convinced at first like Mathieu and David,
> after advocating your suggestion so strongly I feel like I have to agree :)

To summarize my point of view: I'm ok with fixing the technical issues
related to namespaces but I don't want to give up on the scikits idea
yet, I think there are nice things to do.

Transition from scikits.learn to sklearn should be quite painless as
long as the submodule relative path doesn't change.

> This suggests a few things:
> - http://scikits.appspot.com/ should be kept up to date or removed.

I think the website really doesn't need to be dynamic (appspot). I
suggest scikit people maintain it in github and upload it to
scikits.scipy.org once in a while (if it's ok with scipy people).

> - scikits should share best practices regarding documentation and
> should link to each other
> - scikits should share best practices regarding test and coverage

> I fully agree with this. I feel that being a scikit should be a
> guarantee of quality.

[...]

> - projects should be reviewed by other scikits before becoming one.

Yes, "scikit" should be used as a branding. Otherwise, there isn't
much difference with a standalone project. So new projects should get
in after a vote and existing projects should be split into "mature"
(or graduated) and "work in progress" projects. The idea is quite
similar to the Apache foundation projects.

Mathieu