[SciPy-Dev] [feature request] Smoothing data library

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at vcn.com
Mon Jan 24 13:26:16 EST 2011

On 1/24/11 11:00 , scipy-dev-request at scipy.org wrote:
> Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 16:15:43 +0100
> From: David Kremer<david.kremer.dk at gmail.com>
> Subject: [SciPy-Dev] [feature request] Smoothing data library
>
> Hello, I'm a scipy user that use it for academic research.
>
> I would like to ask you if you could design a scipy.smooth module,
> because currently the smoothing abilitise of scipy are rather poor.
>
> Moreover, academic paper on smoothing 1D and 2D data set does exist,
> so it would be cool if you would like to implement some of them.
>
> Thank you very much

There are a few things scattered about.  Smoothing splines are available
in scipy.interpolate:

http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/interpolate.html

I submitted a scikit for smoothing by regularization of 1D arrays:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/scikits.datasmooth/0.5

I am open to contributions for improved packaging, documentation, and
examples.

I, too, think it would be nice if things were collected in a scipy module.

Regards,
Jonathan