[SciPy-Dev] postponing 0.9.0rc1 by one week

Fabian Pedregosa fabian.pedregosa at inria.fr
Mon Jan 17 03:52:40 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There is still one release blocker for 0.9.0, the change in behavior of
> convolve/correlate. See the old_behavior keyword in
> correlate/convolve/correlate2d/convolve2d, and also
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1301. Therefore the release of RC1 is
> postponed by one week. If anyone has time to look at this, that would be
> great.
>
> Three other things that could be fixed as well are the following:
> 1. Medfilt test failure on linux 64-bit, see
> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.devel. This will be
> marked as knownfail for this release if no one has time to investigate.
> 2. CorrelateComplex192 failures on Windows, see the other email I just sent.
> 3. Test warnings from interpolate and linalg, see below. Will just be
> filtered out for 0.9.0 unless they are fixed in time.
>
> /Users/rgommers/Code/scipy/scipy/interpolate/fitpack2.py:673: UserWarning:
> The coefficients of the spline returned have been computed as the
> minimal norm least-squares solution of a (numerically) rank deficient
> system (deficiency=7). If deficiency is large, the results may be
> inaccurate. Deficiency may strongly depend on the value of eps.
>   warnings.warn(message)
> ....../Users/rgommers/Code/scipy/scipy/interpolate/fitpack2.py:604:
> UserWarning:
> The required storage space exceeds the available storage space: nxest
> or nyest too small, or s too small.
> The weighted least-squares spline corresponds to the current set of
> knots.
>   warnings.warn(message)
>
> /Users/rgommers/Code/scipy/scipy/linalg/decomp_qr.py:91: ComplexWarning:
> Casting complex values to real discards the imaginary part
>   qr, tau, work, info = geqrf(a1, lwork=lwork, overwrite_a=overwrite_a)
> /Users/rgommers/Code/scipy/scipy/linalg/decomp_qr.py:126: ComplexWarning:
> Casting complex values to real discards the imaginary part
>   Q, work, info = gor_un_gqr(qqr, tau, lwork=lwork, overwrite_a=1)

These warnings come from the fact that lwork returned from a workspace
query has the same dtype as the principal matrix, but when we call the
computational routine it expects an integer value. A simple workaround
is here:

https://github.com/fabianp/scipy-svn/commit/5942b71bd321b0960fd179c9785273c2f7ab6d36

Although it would be more correct to convert it also to integer, i.e.,

     lwork = int(work[0].real)

Fabian.