[SciPy-Dev] updating numpy scipy crash - numpy on pypi

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 15 08:52:37 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 1:44 AM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Ralf Gommers
> <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 6:49 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> compatible

> instruction.
> >> >

> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/attachment/ticket/1170/detect_cpu_extensions_wine.py
> >>
> >> I don't know if I can run a wine script. In either case, I have now
> >> sse2 numpy and sse2 scipy, which both work without problems so far.
> >>
> >> My conclusion was that sse2 scipy (from the superpack) is not binary
> >> compatible with the single SSE numpy from pypi.
> >
> > OK that makes sense. The reason to have the nosse binary on pypi is to
> make
> > easy_install work on Windows, but this is the downside then.
>
> However, I think this is pretty dangerous. If the incompatibility is
> really present,
> then everyone that downloads the binaries will end up with install problems
> when
> they also want to install scipy.

I'd actually be happy to remove the pypi binaries, since even though it
makes easy_install work most people would actually want the faster superpack
versions if they realized the difference. But that's not just my call.

> I think there should be at least an indication on the pypi page, that
> users should
> go to sourceforge if they want to have a "proper" binary for their system.

The pypi page contents come from setup.py, it would seem strange to me to
add pypi download instructions there.

> Is it possible to rename the pypi binaries to xxx_nosse or put the
> superpacks also on pypi?

That is no problem.

Ralf