[SciPy-Dev] import scipy.stats hangs in mod_python application

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 21:57:11 EDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 20:38, fork <forkandwait at gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert Kern <robert.kern <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> So, has your program ever worked under mod_python? Is this an
>> intermittent problem, or is it reliably repeatable? In your program,
>> do you import numpy before the scipy.stats import?
>
> Yeah, worked great until last week.

Would you mind answering all of the questions rather than just the first? :-)

Can you identify what changed last week? Did you change your program?
Did you upgrade Apache/mod_python? That's going to be the only way to
figure out what is wrong.

>> First, I would convert the entry point into your application into a
>> WSGI application. Since it looks like there is only one entry point,
>> doing basic form processing before passing the inputs to the
>> computational code, this should be trivial. It's really just a matter
>> of converting the mod_python idioms into WSGI idioms.
>>
>>   http://wsgi.org/wsgi/
>
> The problem is that I use a lot of the convenience dispatching functions in
> mod_python, and I really, really don't want to rewrite them.

You may want to take a quick look at a couple of the WSGI
micro-frameworks around to see if they might be able to quickly
implement the dispatching you need.

  http://bottlepy.org/docs/dev/
  http://flask.pocoo.org/

--