[SciPy-Dev] adding chkfinite flags to linalg functions

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 16:24:06 EDT 2011

On 08/26/2011 02:41 PM, Robert Kern wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 14:30, Bruce Southey<bsouthey at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 08/26/2011 02:09 PM, Matthew Brett wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> I object to this objection.
>>>
>>> There's a long tradition of letting people do dangerous things if they
>>> want to.  Here the option is sensibly labeled and it's not the
>>> default.
>> So why not have the patch remove all the calls to asarray_chkfinite()?
> Because we want the *default* to be safe for all inputs. We want to
> *allow* people to avoid those checks when they have extra information
> about the inputs. Adding a flag is a more convenient way to do this
> than any other alternative.

You and others are totally ignoring the author has stated (without
example) that there is a major roadblock when that assumption is wrong.

I am very aware of that many functions will provide something even if
the input was not correct. So I agree with Matthew about letting people
live dangerously as the output will tell them that something was wrong.
That means there should be no need for asarray_chkfinite() here.

Bruce