[SciPy-Dev] setup.py develop

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Wed Aug 3 21:31:48 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 2:16 AM, Gustavo Goretkin <
> gustavo.goretkin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey Devs,
>>
>> I'm making some tiny local changes to SciPy and I'd like to install it in
>> virtualenv using setup.py develop (as opposed to setup.py install) as I've
>> done for other projects. What's the way to do this for SciPy?
>>
>> http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/wiki/DevelopmentTips
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

Just a quick question... how are the two commands:

python setup.py build_ext -i
python setupegg.py develop --prefix=${HOME}

different from just simply doing:

python setupegg.py develop --user

besides from the obvious that the final location is slightly different (with
--user, the location on more recent linuxes is ~/.local).

Thanks,
Ben Root