[SciPy-Dev] dopri ODE integrator solout integration constraints

John Travers jtravs at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 10:56:00 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Janick Martinez Esturo
<martinez at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to be able to observe and possibly stop an ODE integration using
> the scipy.integrate.ode dopri5 and dopri853 integrators. However, the
> supporting call of the _solout method is completely disabled as the
> fortran iout parameter is set to zero inside the wrapper code. I therefore
> attached a patch that does not break the existing interface and enables the
> usage of a costum _solout method by overwriting the method in a derived class
> as follows:

Excellent. I wrote the dopri5 wrappers and had adding this stuff on my
todo list. Unfortunately, the time I get to work on scipy is currently
vanishingly small, and will be for the next month or so. After that,
if no one else beats me, then I will look at your patch and try to get
this integrated.

> I'm using this code in a productive environment and just wanted to know if
> there is a chance that the patch might get included in a future release of
> scipy or what would be necessary to to so? I'm not experienced with Fortran
> libs, but it might be interesting to make the Fortran CONTD5 function
> also avaible to be called from the _solout method in order to interpolate
> intermediate values correctly, but that would require a little bit more efford
> i guess.

Yes, I use this a lot in my fortran code and it would be a nice addition.

Thanks for the patch.
John